iOS is a mobile operating system created and developed by Apple. It is used exclusively for Apple devices and is the second most popular mobile operating system in the world, after Android.
iPhone OS was revealed the first time in 2007 and it was designed originally for the iPhone smartphone, but it has been extended lately to support other Apple devices such as: iPod Touch, iPad and iPad Mini.
The iOS user interface uses multi touch gestures, along with interface control elements consisting of sliders, switches and buttons. Also, the UI is based on the concept of direct manipulation and the interaction with the OS includes swipe, tap and pinch gestures. Internal accelerometers are used by some mobile apps for rotating the device in three dimension (switching between landscape mode and portrait mode for example) or for shaking it.
- iOS is optimized and it has a very good performance
- A large number of mobile apps are developed for this OS
- The apps can be designed more specific, due to the reduced number of devices
- It has a strong security, alongside device encryption
- iOS has a "low power" mode which improves the battery life up to 20%
- One of the main disadvantages is the fact that it is more expensive to develop a mobile app for iOS than for Android
- iOS is only supported by Apple devices
- Compared to other mobile platforms, apps have large dimensions
- It has limited themes and personalization options
- Status bar
- Shortcut menu
- iPhone OS 1
- iPhone OS 2
- iPhone OS 3
- iOS 4
- iOS 5
- iOS 6
- iOS 7
- iOS 8
- iOS 9