Windows 10 Mobile
Windows 10 Mobile is the latest mobile operating system from Microsoft, and its purpose is to power mobile devices, such as: smartphones and tablets (Windows 10's predecessor was Windows Phone 8.1).
Windows 10 is Microsoft’s first attempt to merge their desktop, tablet and phone operating systems into a single OS. Except for 512MB devices, Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 phones are able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, even though carrier approval processes may slow down its rollout. The most important changes brought with this mobile OS are: Universal Apps, "Continuum" feature, the new EDGE browser and extra device support (all these are expanded below).
Finally, this new update is very efficient when it comes to personalization elements. The OS follows a simple design based on tiles. For example: the user is able to change background photos or add photos to the tiles themselves, and they also can adjust the transparency level of the tiles.
- Device support – Windows 10 Mobile will support ARM system-on-chips from Qualcomm's Snapdragon line and IA-32 system-on-chips from Intel and AMD
- Universal Apps – it’s a system that allows apps written for the desktop version of Windows 10 to be easily ported to Windows 10 Mobile devices
- “Continuum” – this is a feature that allows a Windows 10 Mobile device to be used as an ad-hoc PC
- Notifications Sync between devices - this means you can dismiss a notification on your desktop and it will also be dismissed on your Windows 10 Mobile device
- The keyboard is one of the best keyboards used in mobile operating systems
- The EDGE browser will make browsing much faster thanks to its new rendering engine, EdgeHTML. Edge has support for extensions, reading lists and on-screen annotations
- Windows 10 Mobile lacks many important apps, and the total number of apps is considerably lower than Android and iOS
- Many apps from the store are poorly built
- It has a low market share
- There aren't many devices that integrate this OS
- OneDrive – this app was downgraded in regards to free available space
- Universal Windows Platform
- Windows Runtime